Book Club Questions
1. In The Portrait, what is the title referring to? How many portraits are in the story, and is one more important than the others?
2. What were some of the decisions Iris made to benefit Hope? How successful were these decisions? Should she have chosen differently?
3. Who was the antagonist in the story? Did you sympathize with him/her?
4. Did any plot points surprise you?
5. What did Iris sacrifice for those she loved? Was this wise?
6. What did other characters in the story sacrifice for those they loved?
7. Did you learn anything new about the Victorian age in The Portrait ?
8. How did the time period in which Iris was living limit her choices?
9. Who was your favorite character? Your least favorite character?
10. Did The Portrait remind you of other books you have read?